Issue #19 December 2015
The IPBA Secretariat
Roppongi Hills North Tower 7F
6-2-31 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032
Tel +81 3-5786-6796 FAX +82-3-5786-6778
Featured Topics: IPBA Membership News • IPBA Annual Conference 2016 New Information •
Season's Greetings from the IPBA
Dear [[first_name]] [[last_name]] Esq.,
Happy Holidays from the IPBA!
It can't be the end of the year already! But here we are, reflecting back on the past 12 months. The IPBA had a very busy year, indeed. Major accomplishments included:
- A successful Annual Meeting and Conference in Hong Kong, where over 1100 delegates enjoyed a keynote speech by the inimitable Hon Chief Justice Geoffrey Ma; conference sessions skilfully organized by the IPBA committees; social activities including a visit to the Happy Valley Racecourse; a Silent Auction which raised money for the Music for Our Young Foundation; and various events that kept the delegates out late into the night. In addition, 10 Scholars were brought to the conference through the IPBA Scholarship Program.
- The incorporation of the IPBA in June.
- The two-year extension of the MoU with AIJA and IPBA. This is the second extension, representing the good relationship between our two like-minded associations.
- The IPBA-CIC Construction Conference in Hong Kong in September. This was the third year this conference was held.
- The IPBA/KLRCA Asia-Pac Arbitration Day in Kuala Lumpur. Arbitration is an important topic to many IPBA members, and other jurisdictions are expressing an interest in holding their own events on arbitration. Stay tuned!
- The IPBA 1st East Asia Regional Forum in Seoul. With the word "1st" in the name, we anticipate that this will be an annual event.
- A successful Mid-Year Council Meeting and Regional Conference in Dubai. The Regional Conference---on arbitration--- attracted close to 100 delegates from around the world, in our first-ever IPBA event in the Middle East.
There is a renewed energy and enthusiasm in the IPBA, demonstrated by the increase in activities. Our membership is steadily getting bigger, too! We will keep up the momentum in 2016 to bring you more exciting and worthwhile programs, and of course, any member is welcome to take the initiative and plan an IPBA event. Just contact your local or regional membership leader, or the IPBA Secretariat, and let us know what you're thinking!
We appreciate that our members come from diverse backgrounds, and observe different customs based on religious affiliation, personal beliefs, regional customs, and traditions. Whatever philosophy you follow, we offer you best wishes for a peaceful holiday season, and a great year ahead in 2016.
IPBA Membership News
Feel good about closing out 2015 by paying your IPBA membership dues for 2016! You can start the new year with confidence that your IPBA membership benefits will continue uninterrupted. We will accept payments until December 25th, after which the Secretariat will be closed for the holidays.
Contact theIPBA Secretariatif you have any questions about your membership status.
IPBA Annual Meeting and Conference in Kuala Lumpur, April 13-16, 2016
Diverse Challenges, Global Solutions
Every day offers something unique:
- Wednesday, April 13: the Welcome Reception will be held at the Convention Centre, overlooking the iconic Petronas Twin Towers.
- Thursday, April 14: the Gala Dinner will be at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
- Friday, April 15: the Farewell Dinner will be at the Formula 1 Racing Circuit in Sepang.
- There are 58 committee sessions planned! The topics can now be found on the conference web site.
Don't wait too long to register:
the Early Bird rate ends on January 15th!
Your IPBA membership dues for 2016 must be paid in order to take advantage of the cheapest registration rate for IPBA members!
IPBA President-Elect Dhinesh Bhaskaran will be touring the globe to bring you the latest news about the conference. Coming up are the following cities:
- 8 January 2016: Hong Kong
- 14 January 2016: Tokyo
- 15 January 2016: Osaka
- 21 January 2016: New Delhi
- 22 January 2016: Mumbai
- 25 January 2016: Singapore
See photos from his December visit to Taipei on the IPBA web site!
Happy Holidays from the IPBA Secretariat!
The Secretariat office will be closed on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, and from Saturday, December 26, 2015, through Sunday, January 3, 2016.
We look forward to working with you in 2016!
Rhonda Lundin • Yukiko Okazaki • Aki Davis
Incorporated in Singapore. Company registration number: 201526931R